Monday 4 August 2014

I suffer from chronic pain, but do not want to live my life medicated. I search for alternative ways to deal with my arthritis and fibromyalgia. My doctor is fantastic in that he acknowledges and understands the uses of herbal remedies. He helps his patients find a balance of natural remedies and prescription drugs. I appreciate this approach to medicine and find myself sending patients his way.
Two summers ago, I happened across a booth at a flea market in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee where they were selling an all-natural cure for inflammatory diseases. I know many people laughed and walked right by, but I believe strongly in the power of natural medicine. I stopped. I was allowed to test out the product. Because my pain is generally in my lower back and knees, my daughter sprayed some of this product onto my lower back and rubbed it in. The salesman suggested she repeat the procedure because I was already in pain from walking around the flea market. She did. I walked up and down in front of the booth. I could not believe that the pain was gone. I reached down and touched my toes. I experienced no shooting pains. I bought a small bottle, which I paid a dear twenty dollars for, but it was worth it. I used this product for the rest of our trip and found that I was able to hike in the Smoky Mountains without pain.
When we got home from our trip, I researched the product. I only found websites for other people selling the same thing. So, I researched the ingredients. I found that they all helped with inflammation, but only one of them stood out. Having used herbal remedies for over fifteen years, it has been my experience that one ingredient is where the majority of the results comes from. I like to isolate that ingredient and buy it in stand alone products. That ingredient from this product was eucalyptus oil.
I also learned that eucalyptus oil evaporates quickly, so it needs to be used within another oil. The healthiest oil to use is jojoba oil, which was another ingredient in the product I had bought. I began experimenting with different mixtures and came up with the best combination.
First, find a small spray bottle. You can easily find these at places like Walmart and Kmart. People use them for their toiletries when they travel. Next, you need to find a real health food store. I say real health food store because the stores in malls only carry mass-market items. A real health food store will carry a wide variety of herbal and natural remedies. This is where you will be able to find jojoba and eucalyptus oils.
Depending upon the size of your spray bottle, fill it with one-half cup or one cup of jojoba oil. To that, add ten drops of eucalyptus oil for each one-half cup of jojoba oil. Close tightly and shake before use.
Spray liberally on the affected area and massage until the oil is absorbed. If you use anything other than jojoba oil, the oil may not completely absorb into the skin. (I have used mineral oil, but it does not absorb into the skin). The skin will be red and hot. This is good. That means that the eucalyptus is drawing out the inflammation and working. The first time you use this mixture, the redness will be worse. It is okay to apply ice to the area if it is uncomfortable. Once the heat and redness go away, the pain will be gone because the pain is caused by the inflammation that is now gone.
On areas where you experience chronic pain, use twice a day for the first two weeks. Use once a day for another two to four weeks, then only as needed.
Everyone, with whom I have shared this secret, now swears by eucalyptus oil.
You will find yourself keeping eucalyptus around the house for other inflammatory issues: headaches, sinus pain, coughs and colds. For these issues, rub a few drops of eucalyptus oil directly into the affected areas. Eucalyptus oil is an ingredient in many mouthwashes, so it is safe to add a few drops to water and gargle with.

No comments:

Post a Comment